Channels to homeschooling
Posted February 14, 2012on:
We’ve started investigating channels to homeschooling as an opportunity to market our product.
First, some quick facts about homeschooling:
- Currently, there are approximately 2 million homeschooled kids in the United States (ages 4-18)
- About 36% of their parents cite religious and moral instruction as the primary reason for homeschooling
From conversations with two members of the local homeschooling community (a parent who heads a meet up group and an organizer of an online community), we have gathered some interesting insights.
- To an even greater degree than expected, there is little to no social pressure on these kids. They follow their interests.
- There are many meet up groups and classes directed at homeshooled kids to allow for social interaction and free flow of ideas from parents. There are also
- Parents can buy materials from certain sites at the same discounted rates as teachers buying for a class of 20. Other sites cater specifically to the homeschooling market.
- There is a lot of free curriculum material on the web. The official California Homeschool Network recommends free and paid resources on their site.
- Homeschool conventions occur March to August.