Lego Friends? Lego Foes?
Posted January 22, 2012on:
Up until a couple of months ago, LEGO was just LEGO.
Not LEGO for BOYS nor LEGO for GIRLS. Just straight-up LEGO.
You know where this is leading: yup… “Lego Friends” was released recently and geared specifically for girls, check it out: Lego Friends
It didn’t take long for the public to notice:
“LEGO Friends Petition: Parents, Women and Girls Ask Toy Companies to Stop Gender-Based Marketing”
So as much as this group (among many others) dislikes the ‘ultra pink girl butterflies girl’ version of Legos (pictured at the very beginning of this post) I decided to gather 1 data point with my very own 7-year old sister, Monica…
TIME TO PUT IT TO THE TEST:
Editor’s Note – This call was originally not intended to see if she likes Lego Friends but rather get a general feel of which ‘educational’ building sets did she prefer.
I called back home told my brother to setup the laptop and gave him the URLs to show, my little sister was on FaceTime so that I could see her reaction.
First up was Magna-Tiles
- Miguel: “So what do you think? Isn’t this cool?”
- Monica: “Eh…it’s okay….”
- Miguel: “What if Mommy buys this for you, would you play with it?”
- Monica: “Well, I don’t know….”
Second was Tegu
- Monica: “I like this better than the first one..”
Third was Snap Circuits
- Monica: “Ooooh this is COOL”
- Miguel: “Is this easy, hard, or do you think you can do it?”
- Monica: “Well how do you put it on? What can I build with this? I think this is the best one [so far]”
[Right when I thought I was gaining positive traction on Snap Circuits, I had one more card to bust out and lay on the table… Enter LEGO FRIENDS…]
Lastly, Lego Friends
- Miguel: [I haven’t even asked anything at this point and off she goes]
- Monica: “OOOOH I’VE SEEN THIS ON TV, I like this, this is so cool! I remember seeing this!! I saw this before watching Disney Channel!”
- Miguel: “Would you want me to get this for you or give you a Barbie instead?”
- Monica: “Well thanks, but I like this better than Barbie“
- Miguel: “Really? But Barbie is your favorite toy?”
- Monica: “I want this one because you can build stuff with it. In Kindergarten, I played LEGOs a lot, you have to work fast and finish [assigned work] first so that you can get the good LEGOs”
(Image credit: iAmCurtis)
Well…..What just happened there??
The very product a good number of people are protesting nationally is something that my own sister really wanted compared to those educational toys I showed.. Argh.